Chelsea won the Champions League for the second time with a fully deserved victory over Manchester City in an all-premier league clash in Porto.
Thomas Tuchel prevailed over Manchester City counterpart Pep Guardiola for the third time since Frank Lampard was sacked in January, bringing European club football's greatest prize back to Stamford Bridge for the first time since 2012.
Kai Havertz, thriving after a slow start to his Chelsea career, scored the winner three minutes from half-time when he collected and hit a defence-splitting pass from Mason Mount to City goalkeeper Ederson.
City are still searching for the Champions League, the trophy they have always eluded, and Guardiola cannot escape scrutiny for his part in that defeat after making a tactical gamble that backfired.
Guardiola surprisingly decided against using Rodri or Fernandinho as a defensive midfielder, leaving City with a disorganized game plan that reduced their effectiveness and rarely posed problems for Chelsea.
Chelsea consistently had the better opportunities, with Timo Werner missing two good chances before Havertz scored and substitute Christian Pulisic missed another in the second half.
City, who lost Kevin De Bruyne to injury midway through the second half, used Sergio Agüero for his last appearance but there was no fairytale ending for the club's top scorer as Chelsea ended the win.
And for Tuchel it was high spirits after the disappointment of losing the final as coach of Paris St-Germain last year.
- How Havertz held the key for Chelsea, not just Kante
- "Tuchel's master class makes Guardiola despair"
- We are the best team in the world - Mount
- Reaction to Chelsea's win over Manchester City in the Champions League final
Tuchel trumps Guardiola again
Tuchel made three out of three against Guardiola by delivering a highly disciplined, positive Chelsea performance that brought a season marked by uncertainty to a glorious conclusion.
The German has transformed Chelsea since arriving in January, restoring the towering Antonio Rudiger in central defense and playing the superb man-of-the-match N'golo Kante in the position where he is quite simply a world champion. class operator.
Kante controlled everything from his position in midfield, the complete player delivered a stunning performance.
Chelsea needed to be perfect defensively, but it wasn't a smash-and-grab result. It was a front-foot display to take City's initiative in the first half.
They then held on in the second with very few anxious moments.
They even survived the injury-caused absence of experienced Thiago Silva in the first half and continued as measured and committed.
It's a huge personal triumph for Tuchel, who before this game had wins against Guardiola in the FA Cup semi-finals and in the Premier League at the Etihad Stadium.
And the confidence and confidence that those victories brought was evident as Chelsea played with a fearless attitude that never allowed City to calm down and wild celebration scenes erupted among players, staff and the fans at Porto's Estadio do Dragao triggered.
The magnitude of Tuchel's performance is that night was hard to imagine when he arrived in January but now Chelsea are European champions for a second time.
Guardiola's gamble fails as Man City falter
City's march to their maiden Champions League final was accompanied by a sense of doom - that their years of suffering in the elite European tournament were about to end, especially after the way they beat Paris St-Germain in the semi-finals.
Sadly, the agony for Guardiola's side will continue after a final in which the Premier League champions failed miserably to do justice to themselves and their Spanish manager played a role in their downfall when he tried to sign Bob Paisley, Carlo Ancelotti and Zinedine Zidane to join group to win this tournament three times.
Eyebrows were raised when he opted not to use his standout midfielders Rodri and Fernandinho, instead deploying an uncompromising attacking lineup.
It made for a confused, muddled performance with the likes of Ilkay Gundogan and Kevin de Bruyne seemingly unsure of their roles.
And with Raheem Sterling having a disappointing night at left flank as he was dominated by Reece James before being substituted, City rarely borne the threat that has made them the main force in the Premier League this season.
And there was sadness as Aguero was a loser in his last appearance for the club after a glittering career. Guardiola turned to City's top scorer late but Chelsea were not to be moved or play their part in someone else's happy ending.
City are still enjoying a successful season of winning the title and League Cup. This is still a very bitter pill for Guardiola and his team but they can't shed any light on this game.
Chelsea joins exclusive club – the stats
- Chelsea are the third English side to win the Champions League twice, after Liverpool (2004-05 and 2018-19) and Manchester United (1998-99 and 2007-08).
- Chelsea have won the trophy in six of their seven major European finals in their history - making this their fourth European success in Roman Abramovich's era alone (Champions League 2020/21 and 2011/12, Europa League 2012/13 and 2018). 19).
- Guardiola has lost more games against Chelsea than any other club (eight) in all competitions, his last three in a row against the Blues. In fact, the only other teams he has lost to three times in a row in his managerial career are Real Madrid (2012-14) and Liverpool (2018).
- Tuchel is the third different German coach to win the Champions League in the last three seasons (Jürgen Klopp 2019, Hans Flick 2020) - it is the first time in three consecutive years that the European Cup/Champions League has been won by three different coaches became same nationality from 1979-80 to 1981-82 (Brian Clough, Bob Paisley, Tony Barton).
- Tuchel became just the second manager to record three consecutive wins in all competitions against Guardiola (except Barcelona B), after fellow German Klopp did so with Liverpool in 2018.
- City became the ninth English team to reach a European Cup/Champions League final, at least three more than any other nation (Germany and Italy, six) - although only one of the last 11 teams to appear in their first final has won (Borussia Dortmund vs Juventus 1997).
- Guardiola has lost his first cup final as City coach, making it only the second major cup final defeat of his coaching career (along with the 2010/11 Copa del Rey).
- After Havertz's goal in the 42nd minute, neither Manchester City nor Chelsea managed a single shot on target.
- Chelsea's Havertz scored his first Champions League goal and became the first player to score his first goal in the competition since Ilkay Gündogan in 2013. In fact, Havertz was the youngest German player to score in a Champions League final since Borussia Dortmund's Lars Ricken in 1997 (20 years 322 days against Juventus).
- Chelsea's Edouard Mendy has kept nine clean sheets in 12 Champions League games this season - no goalkeeper has ever conceded more goals in a single season in the competition (level with Santiago Canizares for Valencia in 2000/01 and Keylor Navas for Real Madrid in the 2015/16 season). ).
- Mendy's nine clean sheets for Chelsea in the Champions League this season are the most by a goalkeeper in his first season in the competition.
- Chelsea's Mason Mount became the first England player to provide a Champions League final assist for Manchester United against Chelsea since Wes Brown in 2008.
player of the game
KanteN'Golo Kanté - The Best of N'Golo Kanté
with an average of8.43
- Manchester CityManchester CityManchester City
squad number2player namewalker
squad number31player nameEderson
squad number47player nameThe foot
squad number3player nameRuben Dias
squad number17player nameThe brown one
Average rating(Video) Man City v Chelsea (0-1) | Tuchel's Blues triumph in Porto! | Champions League Final Highlights
squad number5player namestones
squad number26player nameMahrez
squad number11player nameZinchenko
squad number8player nameGundogan
squad number25player nameFernandinho
squad number20player nameBernhard Silva
squad number10player nameOmen
squad number9player namegabriel jesus
squad number7player nameSterling
squad number7player nameKante
8.43(Video) Amazing full-time SCENES as Chelsea win the Champions League for a second time! 🏆🏆
squad number24player nameJames
squad number29player nameHavertz
squad number21player nameChilwell
squad number19player namemount
squad number2player nameRuediger
squad number4player nameChristensen
squad number28player nameAzpilicueta
squad number16player nameMendy
squad number5player nameJorginho
squad number10player namePulisic
squad number6player nameThiago Silva
squad number17player nameKovacic
6.28(Video) Manchester City vs Chelsea (0-1) | UEFA Champions League Final | Full-match replay
squad number11player nameWerner
- The match statistics
20Bernhard Silva8Gundogan47The foot
26Mahrez17The brown one7Sterling
- 3Ruben Dias
- 20Bernhard SilvaReplaced byFernandinhoat64'Protocol
- 8Gundogan34 minutes booked
- 47The foot
- 17The brown oneReplaced bygabriel jesusat60'ProtocolBooked at 88 minutes
- 7SterlingReplaced byOmenat77'Protocol
- 9gabriel jesus
- 21F. Torres
- 27I break off
- 6Thiago SilvaReplaced byChristensenat39'Protocol
- 2RuedigerBooked at 57 minutes
- 19mountReplaced byKovacicat80'Protocol
- 11WernerReplaced byPulisicat66'Protocol
- Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz
The match statistics
home teamMan Cityvisiting teamChelsea
- shots on target
Game ends, Manchester City 0, Chelsea 1.
End of the second half, Manchester City 0, Chelsea 1.
attempt failed. Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City) right footed shot from outside the box is a bit high.
Foul von Ruben Dias (Manchester City).
Antonio Ruediger (Chelsea) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Ruben Dias (Manchester City) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
- (Video) 🏆Man City 0-1 Chelsea🏆 Champions League Final 2021 (Havertz Goal Highlights)
Foul by Kai Havertz (Chelsea).
Foul von Fernandinho (Manchester City).
N'Golo Kanté (Chelsea) wins a free kick on the right wing.
Foul von Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City).
Kai Havertz (Chelsea) wins a free kick in the attacking half.
attempt blocked. Phil Foden (Manchester City) right footed shot from the center of the box is blocked. Assisted by Riad Mahrez.
Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Foul von Christian Pulisic (Chelsea).
Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
Foul von Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City).
Kai Havertz (Chelsea) wins a free kick on the right wing.
Foul von Fernandinho (Manchester City).
Mateo Kovacic (Chelsea) wins a free kick on the left wing.
attempt failed. Jorginho (Chelsea) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the left. Assisted by Reece James following a set piece situation.
- The big weekend from Radio 1:Tune in to hear a celebration of the greatest music
- Just one thing to improve your life:The benefits a hot bath can have for your heart and sleep
When did Chelsea beat Man City in the Champions League? ›
Chelsea beat Man City, claim Champions League glory: How social media reacted. Chelsea have been crowned Champions League winners for the first time in almost a decade after winning the 2020-21 final 1-0 against Manchester City in Porto.Did Chelsea beat Man City in the Champions League? ›
Champions League Final: Chelsea Beats Manchester City - The New York Times.Who won the Chelsea FC C vs Man City matches Champions League final? ›
Chelsea won the final 1–0 for their second UEFA Champions League title, with Kai Havertz scoring the only goal of the game late in the first half.Which teams did Chelsea beat to win the Champions League? ›
Premier League giants Chelsea won their first-ever Champions League title nearly 10 years ago on May 19, 2012, beating Bayern Munich in the final in the penalty shootout. Club legend Didier Drogba turned hero for the Blues on the big night as he equalised in the 88th minute of the match to keep Chelsea alive.Who did Chelsea beat 7? ›
Women's Team. Watch the full match as Chelsea faced Norwich City at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League. Get unrivalled access to all things Chelsea with our official club app, The 5th Stand.Who has won 7 Champions League? ›
Spanish football giants and reigning champions Real Madrid are the most successful team with 14 titles followed by AC Milan with seven.Did Chelsea beat Man City 6 0? ›
Manchester City. Coverage of the Premier League clash between Chelsea and Manchester City. Seven years ago today, Chelsea scored six unanswered goals against Manchester City at Stamford Bridge.How many times has Chelsea beat Man City? ›
Since December 2009, Man City have won 11 of our 15 matches in league and cup at the Etihad Stadium with the Blues winning three (all league) in 2014, 2016 and 2021.Which team have beaten Chelsea the most? ›
The side has lost more league games to Liverpool than to any other club, having been defeated by them 70 times in 156 encounters.Who has knocked Man City out of the Champions League? ›
Manchester City have been knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid after conceding two goals in the dying seconds of the game.
When did Man City beat Chelsea 5 0? ›
Although Manchester City have yet to win a UEFA Champions League title, by the 2022–23 season they had qualified to play in the competition for twelve consecutive seasons and reached the knockout stages for ten consecutive seasons.What is Chelsea's biggest ever win? ›
What is Chelsea's biggest ever win in history? Chelsea's biggest ever win is 13-0. They beat Jeunesse Hautcharage 13-0 in the Cup Winners' Cup on 29 September 1971. Chelsea won the first-leg 8-0 away from home, and the 21-0 aggregate score is a record for a European tie.How many times has Chelsea lost the Champions League? ›
|Chelsea's record in the UEFA Champions League|
|2004-05||Semi-finals||Lost to Liverpool|
|2005-06||Last 16||Lost to Barcelona|
|2006-07||Semi-finals||Lost to Liverpool|
Chelsea 7-0 Stoke City – April 2010.What is Chelsea biggest loss in history? ›
It's happened three times in history - an 8-1 loss to Wolverhampton Wanderers during the 1953/1954 season, and 7-0 defeats to Leeds United (1967/68) and Nottingham Forest (1990/91).Who did Chelsea beat 8 0? ›
Wigan Athletic. Coverage of the Premier League clash between Chelsea and Wigan Athletic. On this day in 2010, Chelsea beat Wigan Athletic 8-0 at Stamford Bridge to win the Premier League title.Who broke Chelsea's unbeaten run? ›
On this day in 2008, Chelsea's 86-game unbeaten Premier League home run came to an end as Xabi Alonso's strike gave Liverpool a 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge.Who has lost the most Champions League? ›
Juventus have been runners-up the most times, losing seven finals. Atlético Madrid is the only team to reach three finals without having won the trophy while Reims and Valencia have finished as runners-up twice without winning.Who is the most successful team in Europe? ›
Spanish teams hold the record for the most wins in each of the three main UEFA club competitions: Real Madrid, with 14 European Cup/UEFA Champions League titles; Sevilla, with 6 UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League titles; and Barcelona, with 4 Cup Winners' Cup titles.
What is the biggest ever Champions League win? ›
Liverpool and Real Madrid's 8-0 home victories against Beşiktaş and Malmö respectively are the biggest wins in the history of the UEFA Champions League.Which club beat Man City most? ›
Arsenal have also defeated Manchester City in league competition on 87 occasions, which represents the most Manchester City have lost against any club.Who beat Man United 7 0? ›
7-0. Barnsley. Coverage of the Premier League clash between Manchester United and Barnsley.Who did Man U beat 7 0? ›
Manchester United 7-0 Barnsley
During the Premier League season of 1997-98, Manchester United slaughtered their opponents Barnsley with a 7-0 scoreline at Old Trafford.
Currently Manchester City has a better 1vs1 performance index with 100. Chelsea has 23 goals and Manchester City has a total of 56 goals. Our opinion is that currently Manchester City would win the match.What is Man City's biggest win? ›
1987 A club record 10-1 demolition of Huddersfield Town is recorded at Maine Road in 1987. 1989 City are promoted in dramatic style in the last game of the season at Bradford.Who did Man City beat 6 1? ›
The fixture was both teams' ninth game of the season. City won the match 6–1, their biggest ever win in the Manchester derby, and their biggest win at Old Trafford since they won 5–0 in 1955. This was the first time in the clubs' history the first and second place faced off in the Manchester derby.Who is Chelsea biggest rival? ›
The Arsenal F.C.–Chelsea F.C. rivalry is a rivalry between London-based professional association football clubs Arsenal Football Club and Chelsea Football Club. Arsenal play their home games at the Emirates Stadium, while Chelsea play their home games at Stamford Bridge.What is Manchester City biggest loss? ›
On two occasions the club lost 8-0. The first came in 1894 when Burton Wanderers inflicted such a result on them in the First Division and the result was unfortunately repeated in 1933, when Wolverhampton Wanderers did the same thing.What is the biggest loss in football history? ›
1. A.S Adema 149-0 Stade Olympique L'Emyrne (2002) The match took place on October 31, 2002, in the Madagascar National Football Championship which ended with a score of 149-0 in favour of the home team. It was the match with the most number of goals in world football history recognised by the Guinness Book of Records.
How did Man City lose Champions League? ›
City suffer Champions League heartbreak against Real Madrid
And a 94th minute penalty from Karim Benzema condemned City to a shattering 6-5 loss on aggregate. It was a cruel loss after City had again impressed against the Spanish champions.
Tuesday marks five years to the day since Monaco claimed a stunning win over Manchester City to dump Pep Guardiola's side out of the Champions League. City were 13 minutes from a place in the quarter-finals having taken a 5-3 lead into the game from the first leg of their last 16 tie.How many times Man City reached Champions League final? ›
Since then the club has qualified for European competition on a regular basis; they progressed past the quarter-final stage of a continental competition three times during that period, reaching the semi-finals of the 2015–16 and 2021–22 UEFA Champions League, as well as losing their first ever European Cup final to ...When did Chelsea beat Man City 6 0? ›
Chelsea. 6-0. Manchester City.
Our last win against City was our Champions League success in Porto in May 2021. Our last league win against Guardiola's side came earlier the same month at the Etihad (2-1) when Hakim Ziyech and Marcos Alonso scored our goals.How many times Chelsea has beaten Man City? ›
Since December 2009, Man City have won 11 of our 15 matches in league and cup at the Etihad Stadium with the Blues winning three (all league) in 2014, 2016 and 2021.Which club has beaten Man City the most? ›
Arsenal have also defeated Manchester City in league competition on 87 occasions, which represents the most Manchester City have lost against any club.